patented vs secret (was Re: RC4)

> By the way, since RSA is such a vocal opponent of the Clipper chip on the
> grounds of its secret Skipjack algorithm, why does it market secret
> algorithms like RC4 and RC2?  Does this seen like a double face to anyone
> else?

> Russell Ross                     email: [email protected]
> 1260 N 1280 W                    voice: (801)628-8146
> St. George, UT 84770-4953

Patented does not equal secret.  The argument against Clipper (at least one
of them ;-), is that it has not been subjected to review outside of the NSA.

I believe the code for RC4 and RC2 is accessible and has been subjected to
review by many in the crypto field - you just can't use it legally without
a license.

Noam