Re: a hole in PGP

At 8:08 PM 7/31/95, Dr. Fred said:

>it is impractical to verify that there
>are no subtle back doors

Ah. I knew my undergraduate philosophy degree from good ol' Mizzou would
come in handy some day.  In the sophistry biz, the above is an informal
fallacy. It's called a disproving a negative, more popularly called the
"Flying Saucer" fallacy, as in, "prove to me that flying saucers (or PGP
trap-doors) don't exist".

I would put the rest of your rejoinder in the same class of tinker-toy
logic, Doc.

You're testing my patience. Feeling flush from my New Orleans road trip, I
went out and bought the commercial version of Eudora, filter-feature and
all, which means I'm just itching to test it. In other words, it means you
are flirting with the kill-file, the bozo-filter, more rudely, a
<plonk!ing>.

Play nice, Doc, or don't play at all.

Cheers,
Bob Hettinga

Robert Hettinga ([email protected])
Shipwright Development Corporation, 44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131
USA (617) 323-7923
"Reality is not optional." --Thomas Sowell