Re: Java and Safe-TCL security

> The safe-tcl mailing list has not been active for a few months.  I think
> a lot of interest has transferred to Java.  One problem is that safe-tcl
> was oriented around email, so it lacks facilities for accessing web
> pages.
>
> I agree with Ray that the security of safe-tcl leaves something to be
> desired.  I implemented a safe-tcl mail filter which would automatically
> run incoming mail scripts which were in safe-tcl format.  This would be a
> generalization of a remailer, so that users could write scripts which
> would determine when the remailing would occur, etc.  However I ran into
> a number of problems, particularly related to persistent storage (e.g.
> disk file access).  This is a hard problem for a "safe" system to solve.

Hal,
  One of the designs I have one the drawing board is to store per-script
persistent data in a dbm file, and allow scripts to import/export data
from/to a shared tuple-space. I would limit the data storage to 1024
bytes (to make it portable, some DBM libraries have this limit)
  Scripts could store variables via a new command added to the interpreter
like 'SafeTcl_putvar varname value', and access valuables with
'SafeTcl_getvar varname', 'SafeTcl_varlist'. Also, there would be a
'SafeTcl_read_variables' which could be executed at the beginning of
the script to reload all stored variables.
  Scripts could talk to other scripts by means of a

	SafeTcl_export -value value scriptname1 scriptname2 ...

  The other script(s) could check for any incoming imports and use
SafeTcl_import to retrieve the value. (when the last import is done,
the data is garbage collected. Also, there would be a timestamp so that
old data would be purged after a time limit anyway)

   An example might be, a calendar application in your mailbox which maintains
your weekly schedule. An incoming message script (agent), could "export"
some data to this calendar script which would correspond to some command.
For instance, asking if you would like to have dinner at a certain time.
If the calendar agent says yes, it could send a reply agent to inform
your calendar.

  The calendar could be programmed to wakeup every so often and check for
imports, or the interpreter could just be made to "wakeup" any script
that got an import immediately.

  Telescript's checkpointing of execution state is of course, much cleaner.
Too bad they don't know how to market a programming language.

  If anyone writes an enabled-mail java runtime, the same things could be
done a lot easier.

  The problem with all safe "agent" designs is that the programming language
itself isn't enough. There needs to be a meta-agent language for
querying capabilities of local environments.

-Ray