Re: SSL trouble

Will French writes
>Scott Brickner writes:
>> Then what do you care about the group's procedures?  It
>> doesn't "prevent you from participating" --- you *aren't*
>> participating. You're attempting to solve the problem on your
>> own.

>  This distinction is valid in the current series of academic
>exercises.  However, if we were actually trying to break
>something important, anything that might accelerate the crack
>would be a form of participation.  And as Nathan Loofbourrow has
>pointed out, the random method is much more secure against
>real-world retaliation.  It's also the only method that will
>work for me; I use a shell account, and I never know in advance
>when I will get time on the computers at work (which aren't on
>the net at all).

We've identified several forms of "real-world retaliation:"

1) "Result hoarding" - failure to report a found key
2) "Segment hoarding" - requesting more segments than one can hope to search
3) Denial of service - preventing access to the server

The "random search" method eliminates all three of these at about 37%
higher cost in search time, on the average.  I submit that if we
*really* were trying to break something important, we could design a
system which eliminated the first two and adequately limited the third,
but at *much* less cost.

The problems in the current system were to be expected of a first
attempt.  In the future:  Only the server assigns segments, only the
assignee may report the status of a segment, and after all segments are
NAKed we know condition 1 has occurred, at which time we start over,
but never assign the same segment to the same searcher.  Limit the
number of segments which may be outstanding with one searcher at one
time as a function of work rate.  Deploy redundant servers.

As to whether the distinction is valid, I'd still say the only
difference between working on your own and working "with" the group,
but using an uncoordinated, random search method is one of intent ---
that is, it's all in your mind.

>  I _don't_ care about the procedures, as long as I can get the
>information I need to go my own way.

So what information wouldn't you be getting?  To "go your own way", you
need exactly the same information that the client workstations use to
test one key.  The difference in your code and the clients exists
solely in how they determine the next key to try.

You're not "participating" when you go your own way.  You're working on
cracking the cipher, but you're not adding your efforts to the group
effort, you're working independently.  I'm not saying this is "wrong".
You're supposedly a free person, do what you think is right.