Re: Commercial Speech over Internet product

> >        Here's an article about a commercial company that is doing speech
> >over the Internet.  Maybe someone would like to help them add encryption.
> >                --Bob Baldwin, speaking for myself only.
>
> The program is a sound-listening extention for web-browsers.  There is
> really no use for crypto because it's only processing information which
> is already public.

That's not necessarily true:

I could setup a web server to only listen to a socket that a local ssh
socket proxy could connect to.  Restrict the ssh session for a particular
key to only allow connection to that one socket.  Then the connecting
party would need ssh running with socket proxy near(er) their client
system and the public key.

Assuming that you have a Unix workstation with audio listening software
or a nearby PC it would be easy to setup.

Internet/Web accessible RSA protected, session encrypted voice mail.

Now if someone would just port ssh to the PC as a selective Winsock
wedge...

(I'd love an example of Winsock wedge code (A la Surfwatch)!!!)
I have a neighbor that develops one of the commercial TCP/IP stacks, so
it's quite possible I could convince him to help.

With things like ssh, it's already very easy to create secure tunnels.

It wouldn't be too tough to modify a proxy to use ssh style connections
if an initial connection was found to be encrypted (or a key was cached
for a URL).

Of course, IPsec is coming...

sdw
--
Stephen D. Williams 25Feb1965 VW,OH (FBI ID) [email protected] http://www.lig.net/sdw
Consultant, Vienna,VA Mar95- 703-918-1491W 43392 Wayside Cir.,Ashburn, VA 22011