Re: GAK/weak crypto rationale?

On Tue, 12 Sep 1995, Andrew Spring wrote:

> >intercepts requested and authorized in the past year.  As I recall, the
> >number was quite small - around 12K [?].  Someone had found this out
> >through an FOIA request, perhaps, (my recollection of it is poor). It was
>
> I think it's about 1200.
>
> >not a large number, anyway.  I must conclude that the actual number of
> >intercepts is much, much larger than they are saying, and that they must
> >be getting what they perceive to be good intel from all this snooping.
> >

> A more cautious conclusion would be would be that the importance (to the
> LEA's) of the busts made with crypto is much larger than the numbers
> suggest.  You could interpret that a lot of ways:  I suspect that
> high-profile career-enhancing cases are highly dependent on wiretaps.

No question.  Many high profile public corruption, Mafia, and high-level
narcotics trafficking cases are made with wiretaps.  In our district, we
managed to convict almost 20 people in an investigation of the state
legislature, including the now-former Speaker of the House and > 6 other
legislators.  Bribing lobbyists took hits, etc.

Particularly effective were the court-approved video and audio tapes of
the Speaker taking a bribe in exchange for certain action on legislation
and responding to the bribing party:   "Well bless your heart."
That has become the office's mantra.

I understand the same was true of the South Carolina state legislature
investigation (wiretaps).

A number of previous investigations of our legislature failed over the
past 15 years as the stonewall held.  Wiretaps, hidden microphones, and
hidden cameras put corrupt politicians (I know - redundant) out of business.

I don't doubt that wiretaps may sometimes be abused despite the
incredibly onerous review process, but they have positive aspects, too.

Not a lawyer on the Net, although I play one in real life.
Flame way! I get treated worse in person every day!!