"Who knows this guy?"

At 12:39 AM 9/14/95, [email protected] wrote:

>Just saw this on Usenet, was wondering who knows this guy. Obviously not
>a cpunk or it would have hit the list right away. Not in the mood to run
>code on my account without knowing that I know what it will do.
>

>From: [email protected] (Bob Silverman)
>Newsgroups:
>sci.math,sci.crypt,alt.security.pgp,sci.math.num-analysis,comp.arch.arithme
>tic

It's funny, this thing about names and reputations.

You see, I know the name "Bob Silverman," and his company, Mathworks, a
whole lot more than I know the name "[email protected]". Mathworks was heavily
in the news last fall during the Pentium debacle (including someone I used
to know from Intel, Cleve Moler).

I've only seen the posts of "[email protected]" since 8-29-95, just the last
two weeks. (I don't claim to have a complete archive, as I delete a lot of
stuff. But this is the earliest [email protected] post I can find.)

Certainly I am not impugning the reputation of [email protected], just noting
the irony of him asking for if anyone knows who Bob Silverman is. Strange
days.

--Tim May