Re: cryptography eliminates lawyers?

On Thu, 14 Sep 1995, Duncan Frissell wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Sep 1995, Black Unicorn wrote:
>
> > But won't clients insist on proper credentials in one form or another?
> > Doesn't the practicality and accountability of a centralized authority
> > (or several authorities) provide the best answer to this?  Who is going
> > to accept my signature promising that I did indeed get a law degree and
> > pass the bar?
>
> An educational institution can certify its own graduates --- it does
> now.  Competing credentialing institutions is exactly what I would be
> looking for as opposed to today's coercive monoply.
>
> No matter how skilled, it is illegal for an unlicensed person to practice
> law, medicine, or many other professions in any state.  The nets weaken
> these restrictions because they allow action at a distance.

That's certainly true.  But what about liability insurance?  That's one
of the key aspects of my retention of a professional.  Being cynical, and
somewhat knowledgable about human error, I want to be sure there's
someone to turn to if the advice/treatment/whatever turns out not only to
be wrong in hindsight, but in foresight.

Having taken, and passed, bar exams in three states (3 for 3 for those of
you thinking I was forum shopping), I can tell you that they weren't that
big of a barrier.  You can flunk (over several tries) by failing to
prepare at all, panicking, being an extremely poor test taker, or, well ...

> Note the other effects of the nets.  They make it hard to tell that you
> *are* working which reduces the impact of regulations of work by
> "illegal aliens."  Thus if I am wandering through the South of France
> while writing the 'Great American Novel' I am unlikely to get busted for
> violation of work restrictions.  The nets expand the number of jobs I
> can do while innocently wandering the South of France.  I can or will
> soon be able, for example, to manage a large international corporation
> from anywhere.
>
> DCF
>
> "Who actually prefers Le Massif Central to those hot and crowded southern
> climes."

Just wondering about liability issues after state accrediting is dead.

EBD

Not a lawyer on the Net, although I play one in real life.
Flame away! I get treated worse in person every day!!