Re: CYPHERPUNK considered harmful.

On Wed, 13 Sep 1995, Timothy C. May wrote:

> >     We too often think of ourselves as an elite - smarter and better in
> >various ways to our non-cpunk neighbours. We refer to these others as
> >'Joe Sixpack" and other such derogatary terms.
> >
> >     The problem is that in doing so we are marginalizing ourselves.
> >
> >     We call ourselves 'cypherpunks'. While this is derived from the SF
> >term 'cyberpunk', consider the image we are creating for ourselves:
> >
> >     A 'punk' is a marginalized young adult, one who rejects the norms
> >of his or her society, and takes delight in irking those around him with
> >his or her rejection. The older of us will think of James Dean in 'Rebel
> >Without a Cause', or Brando in 'The Wild One'. Later, you get images
> >such as Peter Fonda in 'Easy Rider', and more recently, Sid Vicious and
> >other icons of the 'punk rock' movement.
>
> While I have had some qualms about the name, on balance I think it has been
> good for us. After all, it's not as if _other_ groups don't already exist!
> In particular, the British branch of Cypherpunks disliked the name
> "Cypherpunks" so much that they used a different name for themselves, the
> "U.K. Crypto Privacy Association." It doesn't seem to exist anymore, for
> whatever reasons. But the name may have been a factor, at least.

I agree with Peter's point... some of the core cypherpunks (I'll not
mention names) can be somewhat elitist, whether they mean to or not.  Not
that they don't have some reason to be...as Pat Farrell once told me the
cypherpunks mailing list is, to some degree, an IQ filter.  Many
cypherpunks have a firm reason for some self-indulgent pride.  However,
our goal (or, at any rate, _a_ goal) is to make crypto use ubiquitous,
and for this we must deal with the public at large in a, perhaps, more
diplomatic and user-friendly manner.

<snip>

8>
> We fill a certain niche which is useful to have filled, a more radical
> facet of things. If we didn't exist, or renamed ourselves "Concerned
> Citizens for Cryptographic Protection," CCCP, then somebody would have to
> _invent_ the Cypherpunks!

True, but if the majority of active participants see an alternative
agreeable to them, they may just switch and start calling themselves
something else.  If the list owner likes it and changes the name of the
list, then what of the cypherpunks unwilling to change?  It would appear,
then, that they would be the ones who would have to find somewhere else
to go.

>            - We are actually not very "punkish" at all. About as punkish
>               as most of our cyberpunk cousins are, which is to say, not
>               very.

Anybody who reads the mailing list or the cyphernomicon knows this, but
anyone hearing the name for the first time does not get this impression.

> Getting back to your suggestion that "we" change the name to something more
> respectable. How could "we" do this, given that "we" are an effective
> anarchy?
>
> I can't imagine a vote on this, and the endless debates on what "we" ought
> to call ourselves would be a waste of time.

Better than a vote (and more effective in western culture, where only 39%
of the population votes anyway but just tends to go with the flow) is to
propose an alternative, flat out, adopt it for yourself, and whoever
prefers it will follow your lead.  If nobody likes it, then the
cypherpunks are simply here to stay.

> Fortunately, there's an elegant solution: form your own group.
>
> Form your own group, your own mailing list, with a catchy name, something
> like "The Privacy Education Foundation," or "The American Civil Liberties
> Union" (whoops, taken), or "The Society for the Preservation of
> Cyberspatial Liberty."
>
> Then announce it on our list, and elsewhere. People will vote with their
> feet. If your "meme" is catching, your list will rapidly gain members.
> Maybe this Cypherpunks list will even atrophy away.
>
> Evolution in action. The market in action. A better approach than trying to
> get the name and the charter changed.

My point is that you may not have to do all this.  This is a recurring
thread on the list. . . if enough people feel the same way you do you
could have the human resources effective for a cypherpunks "take-over".

As for myself, I don't think I would change. . . I actually _am_ a
"long-haired wierdo".  I think a slightly more conservatively named
organization similar to the cypherpunks would be a good thing, however,
simply because I like the idea of having something more low-key to compare
c-punks with, sort of like the IRA to Sinn Fein.  I'm just offering some
humble advice, knowing full well that I am for the most part an unknown
lurker without much reputational weight to throw around.  It's also part
of a leadership dynamic that is, I feel, underused.  (Furthermore, if it
works, I could use it as a paper topic for my social psychology class ;). )

Sincerely,
-=Kathleen M. Ellis=-

<ObDCCPPlug> If you can come, don't forget that the DC Cypherpunks are
having a meet on Saturday at 3pm at Digital Express in Beltsville,
MD..email me for directions or info on our mailing list. </OBDCCPPlug>

[email protected]       Geek Code v3.0      http://zeus.towson.edu/~kelli/
GAT dx s++:- a-- C++ uu+++ P+ L++ E- W++ N K W--- O- M- V-- PS+++ PE- y+>+(-)
PGP+>++ t+ 5 x+ R tv b+++ DI- D--- G e h* r+ z**
Diverse Sexual Orientation Coll.Towson State University [email protected]

"All the world will be your enemy, Prince With The Thousand Enemies. . .
And whenever they catch you, they will kill you.
But first, they must catch you. . ."
                                           -Richard Adams