cypherpunks as a newsgroup

In article <[email protected]>,
Dr. Dimitri Vulis <[email protected]> wrote:
>[email protected] writes:
>> One thing I have been thinking would be nice would be a USENET
>> newsgroup, as mailing lists are a step away from easy access which
>> some people never make.
>
>This sounds like a very good idea to me, since I find the flood of
>e-mail from CP, much of it non-crypto-related, to be annoying. If
>this traffic were in a newsgroup, it would travel compressed over
>my phone line, and I might use a killfile on sstuff like the CO$ thread.
>
>Anything posted to the main cypherpunks mailing list and the spun-off mailing
>lists (steganogrpahy, remailers, nym servers, etc) could be posted to the
>newsgroup by maiking one of the mail2news gateways a subscriber.

That was my thinking exactly.  That's why I wrote just such a mail2news
gateway to a local newsgroup, csc.lists.cypherpunks (moderated, with
[email protected] as the moderator), as you can probably see in
the header.

This way, trn groups all articles with the same subject together,
and correctly threads articles that have References: or In-Reply-To:
headers.

As for the location, I'd agree with comp.security.cypherpunks.

Watch out, though; the list/group will probably get a much higher
readership as a newsgroup.  Although this is good for the
"make the public aware" goal, remember that, as far as I can tell,
September 1992 never ended.

I've been very impressed with the signal/noise ratio on this list.
In fact, people often put [NOISE] in the subject line to flag trivial
content.  This ratio will certainly go down if we go to a newsgroup.

One of the main benefits of Usenet is that anyone can _post_.
One of the main detriments is that _anyone_ can post.

   - Ian "that would have been much more elegant in Latin"