Netscape Navigator 2.0 will implement secure e-mail

I just got off of Netscapes home page and they have announced Netscape
Navigator 2.0. It will include full e-mail funtionality with S/MIME
implemented.  Does anybody know anything about the S/MIME Protocol?
How secure is it?

Dan Weinstein
[email protected]
http://www.earthlink.net/~danjw
PGP public key is available from my Home Page.

"I understand by 'freedom of Spirit' something quite difinite -
the unconditional will to say No, where it is dangerous to say
No.
           Friedrich Nietzsche