Re: Linking = Showing = Transferring?

On Mon, 18 Sep 1995, Duncan Frissell wrote:

> At 08:33 AM 9/15/95 -0700, Charles Lewton wrote:
>
> >Not quite squashed, Duncan.  Bullet placement (poor by some standards)
> >is all that prevented Mr. Weaver from croaking like his unfortunate wife.
> >She is said to have "pissed off" the feds but was not charged with a
> >single actionable item yet she remains quite dead.
> >
> >Unless I have missed something somewhere, no TLA is concerned in the slightest
> >with individual liberty.  That notion should keep a rational person awake
> >nights.
> >
> >Chuck

> casualties (4/7) and 28% KIA (2/7).  The Feds suffered .25% KIA (1/400).  I
> don't think any Feds were merely wounded.
>
> They brought murder charges against two members of the group and lost.

Careful here, they lost because the FBI refused to cooperate with the
prosecutor.  It was looking like a open and shut case before this.

>  They settled wrongful death suits for $3.1 million.  They also lost
> the publicity war.  They had to change their procedures because of Ruby
> Ridge and Waco.

Actually, they just reenforced the old policy, which had been degrading
in practice for quite a long while in the case of Ruby Ridge.

> They energized the opposition.
>
> The casualties were unfortunate but when facing force ratios of 57/1 or
> better, the outcome has to be considered a major victory for Randy Weaver.

Considering the limited rules of engagement (i.e. low intensity sniper
conflict only) I don't think you can really take 57/1 as a force ratio of
meaningful impact.

> The case is a demonstration of modern conflicts in which litigation and
> publicity count as much as guns.  On that field, the Feds don't hold all the
> cards.

On this I agree with you.

> DCF
>
> "The libertarian and conservative coalition of the 'Right' is a
> low-maintenance coalition because its members mostly want to be left alone
> while the special interest group coalition of the 'Left' is a
> high-maintenance coalition because all of its members need to be given a
> vast dose of government cash daily."

---
"In fact, had Bancroft not existed,       potestas scientiae in usu est
Franklin might have had to invent him."    in nihilum nil posse reverti
00B9289C28DC0E55  E16D5378B81E1C96 - Finger for Current Key Information