Re: "Hackers"-- brief review and anecdote...

On Tue, 19 Sep 1995, Rev. Mark Grant wrote:

> If it wasn't for ITAR the Net would already have secure encryption and
> authentication, and most such hacker attacks would be impossible (or at
> least impractical).

	As someone who has hacked a little I would say that sloppy coding
(much like netscape's) has helped hackers far more than lack of
encryption.  Imagine for a moment if sun had included some form of
encryption (maybe in nfs ?) in sunos 4.x.x,  would it have been
effective if it had as many holes as sendmail, etc.. ?

	Good algorithms well coded will hurt hackers. Good algorithms
slopply coded will simply provide hackers with one more toy to abuse,
while giving average people a false since of security (but you SAID it
was strong crypto, so why did they get my credit card number ?)

 pUFF