Re: Netscape is doing well -- give 'em a break.

At 5:52 AM 9/21/95, John Gilmore wrote:

>All progress is by steps.  Let's step on each others' shoulders, not
>on each others' toes.  Netscape is doing us a favor by pushing strong
>crypto.  We are doing them a favor by pointing out problems before
>they cause major losses to Netscape customers.  The result is higher
>security for everyone, and more respect for each other's efforts.  So
>kindly show them a little...

I agree strongly with John.

This whole Netscape thing is good for us, good for Netscape (in the long
run), and good for raising the awareness of the importance of strong
crypto.

It also underscores the need for "tiger teams" to validate software, much
as the Pentium debacle of last fall underscored the need for even more
detailed checking of designs.

It's clear now that 1000 ravenous Cypherpunks, or some fraction of them,
are eager to "crack" the next big product, and this will hopefully make for
better and stronger software.

--Tim May

Notice: With 1000 people on the Cypherpunks list, and many on other lists I
am on, nearly every article I write generates at least one question,
request for more information, dispute with my choice of words, etc. I have
been trying to respond to these, usually privately, but the burden has
become too much, and I no longer plan to respond to trivial or ephemeral
points. If you don't hear from me, this is why. Some requests for pointers
to information will still be handled, but I advise people to learn how to
use the archives and/or search tools.