Re: Project: a standard cell random number generator

At 11:52 AM 9/22/95 -0700, David G. Koontz wrote:
> If NSA requires real stochastic results for military crypto, what would
> we as casual cryptographers feel comfortable with?  The Netscape episode
> shows the comfort level needs improving.
>
> How good is good enough?

128 bits of true entropy, in your RNG seed, and never leaked
is good enough.  (You one way hash the RNG numbers generated,
to avoid leaking any information about your internal RNG state.)

Your RNG number must of course be based on the full seed, not on
some 16 bit subset of the seed.

To be on the safe side, you might use 128 bytes of seed, or 4K
bytes of seed, just because gross overkill is cheap, and it is kind
of nice to have a seed larger than any random numbers you might
really need.

and our property, because of the kind	|
derives from this right, not from the	|
arbitrary power of the state.		|   [email protected]