Re: Decompiling Netscape

Doug,
  I've managed to find a URL which can place an arbitrary value in
the PC register without disassembly. What I did was make  a URL

abcdefg....ABCDEFG....ZAaBbCcDd.....ZzAAaaBBbbCCcc.....ZZzz

then, when Netscape coredumped and the PC gets modified, I look
at the PC, say 0x54535251 and see that it is QRST, so I place
the PC register there.  Now all I need is some 386 code under
BSDI2.0 to do an execve.

I just wrote a simple execve in C, compiled it, and stole the appropriate
magic kernel library invocation sequence. What I need to do now is
1) find out the approximate address of the stack pointer,
2) generate some code that has a whole lotta NOPs, followed by the
execve sequence, and finally, preface all that by a PC value that
will hopefully land somewhere inside that field of NOPs on the stack.
And all this has to be done without using any characters which will
stop netscape from reading in more pieces of the domain string.

You might be able to use the same techniques to whip up a quick exploit
on your systems. By far, the best exploits will be on the Mac and
Windows (especially), because those make up the majority of people
using Netscape. Create an exploit on Windows, and stun the world.  ;-)

-Ray