Re: WSJ on Netscape Hole 3

Matthew Sheppard writes:
> sameer writes:
> > 	He's -asking- for an exploit. Tshirts to Ray and the person who
> > does the exploit, if it gets written. Maybe I should just ring up 8lgm and
> > have them do one.
>
> It isn't simple, you need to know the absolute address of where the
> supplied code will be and alter the return address on the stack to
> that address.

> With Netscape 1.1 the state of the stack is much more dynamic, in
> particular the user can be viewing documents at an arbitary depth in
> the "web tree", each recursion will increase the stack pointer (or
> decrease with some architectures) There is no way of knowing for
> certain where you code will end up and thus no way to reliably alter
> the return address on the stack to execute your arbitary code.

   Are you sure that Netscape uses an implicit stack for this,
rather than an explicit stack? If they use an explicit stack for
the "web tree", than your argument doesn't apply. In fact, I guess
that they do use an explicit stack, because it makes implementing
the "History" menu which shows the last couple of links much easier.
I guess that they use some sort of "ring" structure which is
a dequeue or plain array, so that after a certain "depth", states
are written over and "scrolled off"

  Also, if they used an implicit stack, all it would do is increase
the uncertainty of where the stack pointer is. However, by
inserting enough NOPs into the exploit code, you can virtually insure
the exploit code will be executed. Even if you are off by 64kbytes,
you can insert 64kbytes of nops which isn't much. My own testing
doesn't bear out your theory. I rarely changed the position of the
overflowed stack frame by more than 200 (after following 3 nested links
to my exploit link). I included 256-512 nops before my exploit code.

> You could always gamble on popular states, like when the first url
> fetched by the browser.  Also you could direct execution to any
> routine in the netscape binary (with unknown arguments) .  The most
> detrimental offhand would be deleting the bookmarks file (whoopee) And
> with Netscape 2 comming RSN I wouldn't waste too much time.

  How about creating a .rhosts file with your name in it?

  Or, on Windows machines, inserting a virus?

  If an exploit is possible, any exploit is probable, given that a clever
encoding of assembly instructions can be created for any code required.

-Ray