Re: Hack Microsoft NT C2 Rating?

[email protected] writes:

> I think that c2 is possibly the limit of orange/red bookishness that is
> reasonable to work to. It is not a trivial level of security however, UNIX
> despite all the claims has never been shipped as C2 secure as standard by a
> mainstream vendor. Even requirements involving trivial effort but which are
> extreemly important such as the writing of a users security guide have never
> been taken seriously on any of the UNIX platforms on which I have worked.

A slight correction: SCO shipped the C2 version of their Open
Desktop 1.1 as the standard (in fact, only) version a few years
back.  The howls of outrage from their customer base (due to the
non-standard-Unix behavior) caused them to back off in the next
major release.  Last time I tried to install their software, C2
had been made an option.  (Of course, AFAIK, they never actually
completed a C2 evaluation.)

-- Jeff