Re: Netscape hole without .Xauthority (fwd)

Jyri Kaljundi wrote:

> There's a huge hole in the Netscape remote control mechanism for the
> X-Windows based clients.
> Potential impact : anybody can become any user that uses Netscape on any
> system without sufficient X security.

Did you bother to read the spec?  This doesn't matter; if I can
connect to your X server at all, you have already lost.  The spec
(at http://home.netscape.com/newsref/std/x-remote.html) contains:

                              SECURITY CONCERNS

Any client which can connect to your X server can control a Netscape
Navigator process running there; authenticating the originator of the
request is beyond the scope of this protocol. It is assumed that the
underlying X security mechanisms will prevent unauthorized people from
accessing your server.

It is important (in general) that everyone be aware of the security
risks associated with allowing unlimited access to your X server.
Regardless of whether you use Netscape Navigator, allowing arbitrary
users and hosts access to your X server is a gaping security hole. If
hostile forces an connect to your server, it is trivially easy for them
to execute arbitrary shell commands as you, read and write any of your
files, and watch every character you type.

Again, this has nothing to do with Netscape Navigator. It is a property
of the X Window System. If you have turned off security on your X server
with the xhost + command, or if you have announced that a host is
``trusted'' by using xhost or by listing that host in your /etc/X0.hosts
file, then you should be aware of the consequences. If this causes
access to be possible from a host which is not, in fact, trusted, then
you have left your doors wide open.

For more information about the security mechanisms one can use with an X
server, consult the manual pages for X(1), Xsecurity(1), xauth(1), and
xhost(1), or talk to your system administrator.

--
Jamie Zawinski    [email protected]   http://www.netscape.com/people/jwz/
``A signature isn't a return address, it is the ASCII equivalent of a