Re: censored? corrected [Steve Pizzo cited in The Spotlight]

Sten Drescher writes:
>sameer <[email protected]> said:
>> 	The US govt. doesn't run the root nameservers, nor are all the
>> root nameservers within US jurisdiction.
>
>	Granted, the US Govt doesn't run the US-based root servers.
>But, if an Internet 'Decency' law was passed, they certainly could try
>to threaten the US-based root server maintainers to make the cascading
>threats.  And, as I understand the way DNS resolution works, address
>requests go down to your root domain then up from the other root domain,
>i.e., for me to find out what c2.org's address is, my system requests
>from:
>NS mpd.tandem.com
>NS tandem.com
>NS com
>NS org
>
>If this is correct, if the com NS has the entry for the org NS, I won't
>be able to resolve those names.  Of course, explicit IP addresses and
>/etc/hosts entries would still work.

It isn't correct.  First, your host is immediately looking for a
namserver for c2.org, by querying it's configured default server (say,
piaget.mpd.tandem.com) for it.  If the server already has the answer
cached, it's returned immediately.  If not, a bit in the query tells it
whether the client wants it to find the answer or return an "I don't
know" answer -- most want it to find an answer.

Piaget.mpd.tandem.com probably already knows enough to bypass queries
to the tandem.com and com domains, since it's probably already resolved
at least one org query.  It can then go directly to a server for org to
get the c2.org information the client requested.

The other confused point you have is that there isn't just *one* server
for org.  There are at least a dozen interchangeable root nameservers
which handle all of com, org, edu, net, mil, gov, and the country
domains (us, uk, de, etc).

It's been a matter of policy for quite some time now that to register a
sub-domain under one of the top level domains (i.e., to register c2.org
under org) you must demonstrate two accessible nameservers for the new
domain.  I note, for example, that mpd.tandem.com has *four*
nameservers.

To eliminate "tandem.com" from the DNS, all of the dozen or more root
nameservers, which are in different jurisdictions, must be
compromised.  Even then, sub-domains of the top level generally offer
very long expiration periods for cached data.  It could be years before
the data left the cache from some of the second level servers, assuming
they stayed up that long.

It would almost certainly be long enough to get a judge to slap an
injunction against the action.

Once again, the net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it.