Re: Mime/multipart (was Re: PGP Comment feature weakens remailer security)

> Raph Levien writes:
>  >    On an unrelated topic... cypherpunks like to count bits, right?
>  > What is the correct number of pseudorandom bits to use in a MIME
>  > multipart separator? If the data has a line which matches the
>  > separator, the message is corrupted. Of course, if you can take
>  > multiple passes through the data, you can simply verify that it does
>    ***************
> No need !
>  > not contain a line which matches the separator. But if you're
>  > restricted to a single pass, then the only way to do it is to use a
>  > randomly generated separator.
> I've waited a bit, but as nobody seem to have pointed out, you can
> definitly find a unique stream in a *single* pass (but maybe what you
> really want is no pass at all ?)
> {you add a new random byte each time you find your sequence in the
> stream, and goes forward (as the previous separator was not in the
> "past" of the stream, you don't need to go back)}

Yes, that's a good strategy _if_ you're able to take multiple passes.
However, the separator must (of course) appear at the top of the multipart
message being assembled. Perhaps we don't agree on what "single pass"
means; I meant you could do the processing in a Unix pipe without
requiring storage proportional the size of the data.

> What am I missing ? (anyway, see below)
> (I hope my answer is not as clueless as the "A-dice anonymous" one)

Not quite. As they say, "A-dice" is not merely clueless, but actually
clue-resistant.

>  >    I figure that 128 bits should _definitely_ be enough (that's what
>  > is in the new premail code now). Even 64 bits should ensure that it is
>  > unlikely that anyone will ever experience message corruption over the
>  > expected lifetime of premail. However, it makes me nervous. What do
>  > people think?
>
> Isn't PGP encoded stream containing only base64 chars ? Why not use
> "====PGP part #===="  (as you can't have more than 2 = in a base 64,
> and only at the end anyway)
> or "@PGP part #" or whatever starting with a non base64 char ?

For PGP encrypted messages, I just use "+" as the boundary, as it is
guaranteed that a valid PGP/MIME multipart/encrypted message body will
never include the line "--+" or "--+--". For the longer separators, my
concern is multipart/signed messages.

> so "@" = 8 bits is my anwser, do I win ;-) ?

I chose "+" instead of, say, "@" because it will survive EBCDIC gateways.
You might argue that this is worrying too much, but doing the right thing
here costs nothing, and may actually save somebody some trouble.

Raph