Re: Internet Terminals

Jim Choate sez:

I agree and disagree. ;-)

The "internet terminal", or "internet appliance", as it is sometimes called,
is IMHO, worthless. Would you write and send e-mail if you had no way of
archiving it? Would you use "net-quicken", if it required all your data to
be stored on a shared disk at Intuit? (There was an interview on NPR 11/17
where this was touted as "the next big thing"!)

On the other hand, I believe that a <$1000 computer would be a big seller.
>From a marketing point of view, there's just something about a price tag
with three digits left of the decimal point, even if they're all nines :-)
The tough part is making it usable, and making some money on it.
[ I've got this 386-40, with 1 MB RAM and a 40MB hd, see... ]

>Realisticaly, who in their right mind would buy a diskless workstation to
>connect to Internet?

No one.

>You certainly wouldn't do crypto on it because it has
>to boot from somewhere else and this leaves all kinds of security holes.

Actually, I think the plan is to boot from ROM.

>Anyone who bases their business on this technology won't have a business.

I agree.

-- Marshall

Marshall Clow	              Aladdin Systems
[email protected]

"Eternal vigilance is the price of PostScript"
-- MacUser Jan 96 DTP and Graphics column