Re: credit card conventional wisdom (fwd)

From: Simon Spero <[email protected]>

The printed digits above the embossed account number are the first four
digits of the BIN (on Visa cards) or ICA (on MasterCards). They are there
to discourage re-embossing of the card with another account number.
	You may be interested in knowing that this appears to vary depending
on the card issuer (or possibly on when the card was issued). My MasterCard
(from USAA) has no such printed digits; instead, the entire account number
is on the back of the card, plus 3 (I would guess check) digits.
	-Allen