French crypto restrictions - update ?

Sorry, this has nothing to do with Netscape's position on GAK:

Jim Clark writes (via Jeff Weinstein):
> Until recently, France did not even
> allow us to sell products with 40-bit keys, much less 128-bit keys.

I'm curious about this. Were Chirac et compagnie simply dragging their feet
on granting a license, have they made an actual policy change, or did they
realize they could do what Damien did ? It would be interesting to see more
information on this development. (There's a paranoid conspiracy theory I
could add to the pile here, but I don't believe it and we seem to be knee-deep
in them at the moment....)

-Futplex <[email protected]>
Let's wait and see