Re: Timing Cryptanalysis Attack

On Mon, 11 Dec 1995, Tom Weinstein wrote:
> Careful.  Even if you can make the number of executed instructions the
> same, you still have to worry about timing differences due to branches
> and the way the hardware multiplier handles different operands.

Granted.  For my particular library, there are no major 'if statements' I
believe (I'll check) after you get out of the mod_exp function and into
the mod and mul sub parts.  As for the multiplier, I just had a look at
my old 386 book and yup, it does take an argument dependent time... I've
been around pipelined RISC cpus too long...

eric
--
Eric Young                  | Signature removed since it was generating
AARNet: [email protected]    | more followups than the message contents :-)