RE: ViaCrypt supports CKE in PGP

In message Mon, 11 Dec 1995 14:45:55 -0600,
  "Robichaux, Paul E" <[email protected]>  writes:

> In today's mailbox I got a pack of marketing slicks from ViaCrypt.
[liberally elided]
> The biggie, though, are these:
> "Encryption automatically includes Corporate Access Key as
> additional  recipient (option)" and
> "Key selection/display dialogs show only keys certified by
> Corporate  Access Key (option)"
> So, real CKE will soon be available from an unexpected source. I'm not
> sure  whether to be excited or dismayed.

I believe this is a good thing (tm).
This is a vendor with strong crypto implementing Key Escrow for
the only known commercially viable market: data recovery of long
term storage.

In all of the NIST meetings that I've attended, industry says
there is a market for key escrow for data recovery when your
key  programmer "falls in love and moves to a warm water island"

They also say there is no market for key escrow for communication,
we can simply resend lost messages.

Commercial Key Escrow is, by definition, voluntary. You have to pay
to get it escrowed, stored, and returned. CKE is not GAK.

I bet its not exportable.

Pat

Pat Farrell    Grad Student      http://www.isse.gmu.edu/students/pfarrell
Info. Systems & Software Engineering, George Mason University, Fairfax, VA
PGP key available on homepage               #include <standard.disclaimer>