Re: e-mail forwarding, for-pay remailers

On Thu, 14 Dec 1995, Rich Graves wrote:

> > I suspect Sameer would be happy to open an account paid in advance in
> > small unmarked bills.  AOL probably wouldn't.
>
> AOL will, however, accept a bogus name, address, and credit card number
> (as long as the checksum is correct) for the initial ten free hours plus
> however long it takes for the first bill to bounce.

Nope.  Not anymore.  Due to excessive fraud, they now check the credit
card information when you first provide it.

(This made it impossible for a client to subscribe on the day
after Thanksgiving, because AOL couldn't get through to the credit
verification through all the shoppers...)

For any nontrivial denomination, this leads me to believe that ecash will
be verified when online, not offline later.

Jon
Jon Lasser                <[email protected]>            (410)494-3072
          Visit my home page at http://www.goucher.edu/~jlasser/
  You have a friend at the NSA: Big Brother is watching. Finger for PGP key.