Re: ADDRESS DATABASE?

>> any type of billing information to the phone company.  The number is also by
>> nature unlisted and the only way to get it is by you or the cellular
>> carrier.  If the cellular carrier gives your number out without your
>> permision or a court order they are in BIG trouble..
>
>My untrained brain sees two problems with this:
>
>1) Cellular systems are inherently less secure than standard telephones,
>as anyone who can afford a decent scanner can listen to your conversations
>at will.

I was speaking more secure in that the billing information is much harder to
get.  If someone had the time, money, and equipment to track a particular
person at a specific location making a cellular phone call from a given
number they would most likely already have the means of getting the
information an easier way.

>2) You're relying on someone other than yourself to protect your security,

I do agree that letting anyone other than yourself control your personal
information is bad!  It happens all to often.

>which is always a bad idea. Cellular carriers, Ma Bell, anyone. Does anyone
>on this list really believe that representatives of these organizations
>would think twice about bending over and spewing out everything they know
>about you? They do it all the time, without your permission and without
>valid court orders.

At least 50% of the cellular carriers are not telco related.  Giving out
cellular numbers and names is a tabbo NONO for cellular carriers.  If
cellular customers start getting sales calls from a company that received a
list from a cellular carrier, the cellular carrier is obligated to refund
the customers bill for those calls if the customer complains becuase the
customer pays for calls comming or going.

I don't feel that cellular is completely private or secure but its getting
much better with the addition of digital cellular.  The problem with digital
is that the conversations are more secure but the information about the
people calling is not.  Digital cellular and PCS offers ANI and a bunch of
other identifying information.

                                Dr0id