Re: Fred Cohen: Re: CFS and Linux

On Sat, 23 Dec 1995, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> > Fred Cohen writes:
> > > The dollar value would be $1 plus a public apology plus all costs of the
> > > suit plus my time to right the wrong (at my usual fee of course).  Of
> > > course the fact that you have decided to make this posting in public
> > > justifies my extensive efforts to clear my reputation which, unless you
> > > apologize immediately will be surprisingly enjoyable for me.
> >
> > Go and sue, Fred. Its what I have lawyers for. If you can even find an
> > attorney willing to take your "case", mine will likely remind yours
> > that lawyers can now be punished by the court in many jurisdictions
> > for knowingly aiding in bringing frivolous suits. If you are seeking
> > $1 in damages the court is especially likely to consider the whole
> > thing a waste of time.
>
> Your choice, but it's not a very nice Christmas present to find yourself
> in litigation.  I'll give you till Tuesday to reconsider.  If I see the
> public apology, I won't call the lawyers.
>
> If I were you, I would talk to those lawyers of yours and get their
> opinion of whether it's worth your while to be malicious toward people
> in this way in exchange for defending against a law suit when all you
> have to do to prevent it is apologize for what you now know to be a
> falsehood.

How, exactly, does Perry (or anyone else here) "know" it to be a
falsehood.  Fred denies it.  If I was posting anonymously and was accused
of being the anonymous poster, I'd deny it too.

Oh, I forgot, someone posting as one of the "Alices" denied it too.  That
makes it conclusive.

This anonymity thing is easier than I thought.

EBD

Not a lawyer on the Net, although I play one in real life.
Flame away! I get treated worse in person every day!!