Proxy/Representation?

Caveat: I haven't yet looked through the archives, and it's late.  This
may sound even less intelligent than most of what's on the list as of
late (although what with the flamewars about I'm not sure if that's
possible).

Today I made a purchase at a local store using a personal check that wasn't
mine.  It very clearly wasn't mine (since the name on the check was Helen
and mine is Dave), but I am a duly appointed representative of Helen in
certain affairs.  Including this one, which was <blush> grocery shopping
</blush>.  (There are also other affairs, some with actual legal
consequences, and there is paperwork to that effect in a lawyer's safe
somewhere.)

The question is: how do the current software packages handle representatives
and proxies for a given is-a-person?  Using PGP as an example, I can't sign
a message with Helen's key.  And a message signed with my key won't hold
as much weight because "Dave" is not "Helen."  And if every message I send
on behalf of Helen has to be followed up by a message from Helen stating
"yes, Dave may act on my behalf for this instance" then much of the point
of the proxy process is lost.  (i.e. the reduction of Helen's workload etc.)

I'm sure that this has already popped up, so I'll just ask for pointers.

dave

----- David E. Smith, c/o Southeast Missouri State University
1210 Towers South, Cape Girardeau MO USA 63701-4745, +1(573)339-3814
PGP ID 0x92732139, homepage http://www.midwest.net/scribers/dsmith/
Dec15-Jan15: (618)244-3340/2209 Perkins, Mt Vernon IL 62864