Re: Attacking Clipper with timing info?

> I suppose the correct answer is, "It depends."
>

> It depends on your definition of "should" in the above
> paragraph.  If "should" means "in keeping with the NSA's
> mission statement", then I believe the NSA should remain
> quite and exploit the vulnerability as a national
> technical asset.  If "should" means "in support of US
> commerce", then the answer would be that they should
> announce/fix the vulnerability.
>

> I'm not sure from your tone which one you believe to be the
> correct definition.  :-)

I don't know myself.  That's why I still occasionally think about it.  It
is sometimes comforting to think there is a US agency with the expertise
of the NSA.  At other times I wonder if we're getting the most for our tax
money.  Unfortunately, it would be impossible to generate a meaningful
cost/benefit analysis even if the NSA was not a secret agency.

Of course, if we did not pax taxes there would be no need to wonder if
we're getting our money's worth.  A self-funded,for-profit NSA?  Now
there's a liberatarian idea if I ever heard one.

[email protected]