Inherent Insecurity of Internet Commerce! (was RE: Secret Clearance)

OK, I'll try again. First, as I recall, SECRET clearance
is actually not very high: when I got it, I had to answer
a bunch of questions (do you abuse illegal drugs? are
you now or have you ever been a member of any
organizations? have you ever been _arrested_ for anything?)
and fill out some forms and get fingerprinted. They
probably did a credit check, and that was about it.
Nobody I knew got any calls asking about my habits
(that is reserved for higher clearances).

So now I'll rename the thread again: "Inherent Insecurity
of Internet Commerce" -- <sarcasm>maybe now the NYT
will feature me on the front page for "discovering" this
inherent flaw in the Internet.</sarcasm>

My purpose in renaming the thread in the first place
was to start another thread relating to the types of
security in places like, say, Netscape or Spyglass
or CyberCash or First Virtual or Interramp or any
other ISP or software company. Because I want to
know how susceptible these companies are to hiring
the wrong people.

So, here's the "bug": if some agency of crime/espionage
wants to subvert any of these systems, all they need
do is employ the same blackmail/bribe techniques
used to recruit actual spies on some employees of
these companies. They then slip in some hacked
versions of the software with the good ones, or modify
distribution servers, or slip code into servers that
forwards every tenth credit card number somewhere.

Or how about getting a janitor to plug a wireless tap
into one of the major Internet backbones to sniff for
cc#s as well as interesting e-mail?

Also, since there's enough noise here already (and
even I don't see that much crypto-relevance) I won't
post again on this topic, but I am very interested in
hearing concrete examples of how Internet companies
are protecting themselves, and also in hearing about
specific instances of security failing (e.g., has anyone
ever found a tap on a backbone?)

-Pete Loshin
 [email protected]