Re: The Elevator Problem

At 05:29 PM 12/11/95 -0500, it was written:
>[...]
>> but since the contents of the key were never
>> touched on DIRECTLY, no eavesdfropper could determine the key,
>
>No, the integrity of the system really depends upon the quantum properties
>of light. Among other things, Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle makes it
>impossible for Eve to "eavesdrop" on the photons without affecting them
>measurably.

Disregarding the "quantum properties of light" issue, if Eve can listen
in on every communication between Alice and Bob about their keys, then
doesn't she have enough information to reconstruct the key herself?

The way I understand the system, in order for Alice to have Bob's key (and
vice versa) they each have to transmit a considerable amount of data about
their keys.  Even if those data are in the form of "twenty questions," neither
knows anything about the other's key at the start.  Is there something
painfully obvious that I'm missing?

>In this situation Eve can read the email traffic without modifying it, so the
>game is up.
Exactly.

Dave

----- David E. Smith, c/o Southeast Missouri State University
1210 Towers South, Cape Girardeau MO USA 63701-4745, +1(573)339-3814
PGP ID 0x92732139, homepage http://www.midwest.net/scribers/dsmith/
Quote: "And if we change, well, I'll love you anyway" - Alice In Chains
Dec15-Jan15: (618)244-3340/2209 Perkins, Mt Vernon IL 62864