Re: Guerilla Internet Service Providers (fwd)

At 01:47 PM 1/2/96 -0600, you wrote:

> [...]

As I understand the physics, the whole process could be made FAR FAR FAR
more efficient if the rocket was boosted to about 40000 feet with a subsonic
airplane, a' la' X-15 and such.  It's above 75% of the earth's atmosphere
(dramatically reduced drag), is already going 600 mph in the correct
direction, and is 8 miles closer to the  ultimate goal 250 miles up).  This
might not sound like much of an advantage, but if you've ever worked out the
mathematics of the Saturn V (or space shuttle, etc), the VAST majority of
the fuel was used up in the first 20,000 feet, maybe even the first 5000
feet.  It would be even better if the first stage could be an air-breathing
supersonic ramjet, but that's not my field of expertise.

In addition, the existence of relatively low-cost GPS receivers would make
achieving an accurate orbit vastly cheaper than with the inertial guidance
systems historically used.  Sure, cheap accelerometers are being sold by
Analog Devices and Murata Erie sells cheap vibrational gyros (not to mention
fiber gyros) but it would be hard to beat the accuracy you could get with GPS.