Re:US calls for measures against Internet porn

>         WASHINGTON DC (Reuter) - The US called Sunday for improved
>management of the Internet to prevent people seeing pornographic
>material on the world computer network.

Perhaps it is a result of many self-interested parties who have hyped the
Internet to the hilt, but it never ceases to amaze me how people think
that as soon as you connect a PC to the Internet, suddenly, all this information
and computer wizardry _leaps_ down the phone line and _jumps_ out of your
screen.

It can be clearly demonstrated (even to US politicians) that the Internet
is not a passive media - users must go out and find what they are looking
for (especially pornography). You cannot "stumble" upon pornography,
as you might by, say, channel surfing on cable.

You can't tell me that someone who fires up their Web browser and points it
to http://www.playboy.com, or clicks yes to a request that they acknowledge
that they are over 18/21/majority and agree to access adult material doesn't
know what they are getting themselves into...

Mark
___
Mark Neely - [email protected]
Lawyer, Professional Cynic
Author: Australian Beginner's Guide to the Internet
Work-in-Progress: Australian Business Guide to the Internet
WWW: http://www.ozemail.com.au/~accessnt