Re: Why Net Censorship Doesn't Work

At 11:29 AM 1/2/96 -0600, Ed Carp [khijol SysAdmin] wrote:

>Tell that to folks in the contries of used-to-be-Russia.  Lots of old
>Communist leaders getting back into power - some folks are even saying
>that the old days under the Communists were better than living in a free
>market economy.

I said "modern" country.  Even so, Russia and the rest are much more market
dominated than they used to be.  Transition will not be easy but I doubt if
they'll go back.  As for an eternity of slavery being superior to too
rambunctious freedom -- we won't let them be that stupid.  The "cancer of
Anglo-Saxon values" is pretty powerful.

>> Where are the pressure points where regulation can be applied?
>
>How about on the backbone itself?  Since everyone goes through the htree
>major backbones, all one would have to do is control access at those
>points.  Of course, that would lead to clandestine use of
>store-and-forward LEOsats, s&f UUCP sites, etc.  UUCP might even make a
>comeback ;)

That would require outlawry of crypto over the backbone and some way of
convincing the backbone to run government approved code.  Quite a bit of
resistance would ensue.  Have the Feds ever successfully mandated that large
numbers of people run government code?

DCF