Re: Guerilla Internet Service Providers (fwd)

At 23:33 1/2/96 -0800, Lucky Green wrote:

Previous exchanges deleted...

>Infrared and laser are not very reliable between buildings during fog.
>Between your house and your neighbor, a low cost 900MHz bridge would be the
>best way to go. On such short distances, an omni-directional antenna will
>work just fine. Check out Solectek (cheaper) or Cylink (faster). Both offer
>DES link encryption.

With a tightly focused beam (light is easy, I don't know about lower
frequencies), you can prevent interception except by very obvious physical
devices.  (e.g. Someone in a cherry picker truck.)  You may be able to
avoid the need to encrypt the link (and all the paranoia about key
management, advances in factoring etc. that that implies.)

Bill

Bill Frantz                   Periwinkle  --  Computer Consulting
(408)356-8506                 16345 Englewood Ave.
[email protected]             Los Gatos, CA 95032, USA