Re: Massey, CEO of Compuserve, on Internet

At 13:55 1/4/96 -0500, Tony Iannotti wrote:
>On Thu, 4 Jan 1996, Robert A. Rosenberg wrote:
>
>> Yes it would require that the Node be checked in the Software. What I was
>> responding to was a claim that there is no way of telling where I am
>> connecting from (which I disproved). As to calling a non-German Node, that
>> is always an option.
>
>Yes, I agree. I think the real difference is that they really cannot tell
>where you are calling from, even though they know where you are
>connecting.

Caller ID could tell them where you are calling from.  They can also use
their billing information and user profile information to decide where you
live and/or how old you are.  I wonder if any of these filters will keep
the German prosecutors off their necks, given that they can be bypassed.

I feel sorry for them given the situation they are in, and want to kick
their butts for just rolling over dead instead of fighting for free access.

Bill Frantz                   Periwinkle  --  Computer Consulting
(408)356-8506                 16345 Englewood Ave.
[email protected]             Los Gatos, CA 95032, USA