Re: Foiling Traffic Analysis

Lucky, are you just the cynic's cynic, a farther-gone
revolutionary than you seem, or did you just have a bad month?

[email protected] (Lucky Green) wrote (on various occasions):

- ----------

Prepare to see "felony Internet access" on the books before long.

- ----------

Nothing new here. Pornography and the other Three Horsemen will
be use to ban the spread of 'dangerous' thoughts on the Internet.
This was clear years ago. Let me emphasize a few facts:

o Non-GAK Encryption will be outlawed.
o 'Immoral' texts and pictures will be banned.
o The dissemination of 'dangerous ideas' will become a felony.

At best, Cypherpunks can hope to provide the infrastructure that
will allow an underground to communicate semi-securely. We are
unable to stop the global tidal wave of fascism. Let's not waste
our time on bemoaning the freedoms crushed in its path. We have
more important work to do.

- ----------

But how many of them will be willing to forward certain
newsgroups if doing so carries a mandatory 10 year prison term?
Hint: count the number of narcotics dealers that advertize in
your local yellow pages.

- ----------

Some site in physical space has to host the nntpd, the ftpd, and
the httpd. That site will be subject to search, seizure, and
arrest and conviction of owner.

- ----------

o Outer space: not very realistic
o Offshore boats: see the fate of drug trafficers in
  international waters after the Coast Guard is through with
  them.
o Stable dictatorships: Not stable enough to withstand an
  humanitarian mission by the US Army.

- ----------

Wrong. Only 0.03% of the home PCs have to be seized and the
owners incarcerated. The remaining users will cease to carry
controlled data on their own.

- ----------

Seems to me that the laws are becomming unified on a global
scale. The people in power all over the world have the same
interests. To stay in power. The 'unregulated' Internet is in
direct confilict with this interest. Since these powers make the
laws, they will use the laws to reduce the threat the present day
Internet presents.

Will C2 carry certain newsgroups/info after doing so has become a
felony? Who wants to be an 'illegal data' kingpin and face
execution? (Kingpins are 'data trafficers' that carry more than
1.5 Megs of 'controlled information'.)

- ----------

That is called a conspiracy. The consequence is that all machines
involved will be confiscated and their respective owners jailed.

- ----------

Well, you can seize the machine running the OS for the crimes it
committed. I am serious. No prosecution needed.

- ----------

Prosecution followed by conviction is what will happen to the
owner of the computer on which the OS was running.

- ----------

Time to bring up my favorite CP invention of the last years: Wai
Dai's Pipenet. Of course running Pipenet would be a felony in the
future I forsee, but it sure is a great idea.

- ----------

Pretty hard. That's why the corporate officers will be jailed
instead. Not that this would be necessary to stop the corporation
from operating.  The authorities can just confiscating all the
equipment and thereby put the corporation out of business. Saves
time and trial costs. They just haul off the computers and
declare that they are now property of the government.

- ----------

Only to have the box impounded within a few days after going
on-line. A very costly and likely short lived hobby.

- ----------

All participants in this network are clearly guilty of
conspiracy. Their assets will be confiscated under RICO. As Brian
mentioned, the law enforcement agencies are creating a surplus by
such seizures. The costs associated with more prosecutions are
more than offset by the revenue generated. Your computer will
make a welcome addition to their budget.

- ----------

Inevitably, a DC net or the Token Ring approach described earlier
will be used for illegal purposes. Once, not if, that comes to
pass all participants will be guilty of conspiracy and their
property subject to forfeiture. No trial needed and it will
happen to the applause of the general public.

The answer to much of what you write off without a fight is
fairly obvious, but not yet being mentioned in open conversation.
Without intending this to be a flame, I'd respectfully suggest
that giving up the living room and den in the hope of a back-
bedroom campaign against a home invader is probably not a
workable strategy (if you'll allow a metaphor uncomfortably
close to the subject matter).

One rule of these types of things is to carry the battle to the
opponent's ground. Allowing the battle on your own ground is
hard on the furniture.

We Jurgar Din
(that will have to suffice: I do not yet live in a free country)

+"The battle, Sir, is not to the strong alone. It is to the+
+vigilant, the active, the brave. Besides, Sir, we have no +
+election. If we were base enough to desire it, it is now  +
+too late to retire from the contest." -Patrick Henry 1775 +