Naw, They Can't Censor the 'Net!

Friend,

  A 01 07 96 Scripps Howard newsstory reports that a US tele-
  communications firm providing Internet access to Jordan was
  asked by authorities there to install a

                         SCREENING FACILITY

  so censors could preview

                                ANY

  messages

                               LIKELY

  to be

                              PICTURES !

  A censor's life in a screening facility can be hard...but the
  authorities are firm.  There's the urgent

     ...need to prevent the spread of pornography in this con-
     servative desert kingdom.

  And that US telecommunications firm?

     "We agreed with the authorities' request," said GlobeNet's
     vice-president, Carlton Tolsdorf.

     "And, by the way, I think we should have the same thing
     back home in the United States."

  So it too can be a

                            PICTURESQUE

                                               desert kingdom.

  Cordially,

  Jim

  NOTE.  The newsstory's headline?  ARAB WORLD GRAPPLES WITH
         THE INTERNET'S BENEFITS, DRAWBACKS.

         Its dateline?  AMMAN, Jordan (Jan 7, 1996 1:22 p.m. EST).

         Its Nando News online filename?  info57_806.html