Re: "trust management" vs. "certified identity"

[email protected] (Lucky Green) said:

LG> At 1:40 1/7/96, Frank O'Dwyer wrote:
>> But it is usually easier to determine (and vouch for) who a stranger
>> is than how trustworthy they are, if only because there are quick and
>> easy real-world mechanisms for this (driver's licence,
>> passport,etc.).  That's all I meant.

LG> Though it may seem that way, I am not so sure that it is true. I am
LG> told that you can buy a CA driver licence in the hispanic part of
LG> San Francisco for about $50. Hologram and all.

	60 Minutes did a report a year or so ago where one of their
reporters (Harry Reasoner, I think) purchased various fake IDs, ranging
from drivers licenses to 'green' cards.  The green cards he purchased
were virtually indistinguishable (in quality - the names varied (; )
from his genuine green card (the reporter was/is Canadian).

--
#include <disclaimer.h>				/* Sten Drescher */
To get my PGP public key, send me email with your public key and