Re: DNow2> Re: DNow2 Re: Hammill 1987 speech

On Mon, 8 Jan 1996, Alan Horowitz wrote:
> Thanks for that lovely peice about the Chiapas uprising. I'm saving it to
> disk. It's so archtypal of the turgid prose of graduates of Moscow's
> Patrice Lumumba University. How wondrous that leftists-without-a-home can
> find a cause to latch onto and keep their rhetorical skills in practice.

Carlos Fuentes calls the rebellion the first "post-Communist" revolution.
They specifically reject the rhetoric you set up as a straw-man. If you
want to actually become informed about reality down there (I lived in
Chiapas 2 winters, Guatemala 4), please subscribe to the mailing list
that the NY Times says has prevented more Mexican Army massacres:

To subscribe to the chiapas-l list send a message to:

	[email protected]

with these words in the body of the message:

	subscribe chiapas-l Your-Email-Adress

and leave the subject line empty. You will receive a welcome message with
info on the group *and on how to unsubscribe*. You should save this
message for future reference. You can expect several messages per day.

> Want to come with me tomorrow? I'm going down to the library to re-read
> the history of the Indians of Meso-America.  I like the part about the
> hundreds of thousands of peasants who had their hearts cut out without
> anesthesia, so that the Emperor could collect lots of taxes on an abundant
> harvest.  Damn shame that the Spaniards came along and destroyed a
> culture, ya know?

Having lived with Mayans for 6 winters I still have my heart and suggest
you don't hold the campesinos responsible for their "emperor's" actions
of centuries ago.

Stop fighting the cold war and against the past and transcend virtual
reality and see how others really live and act. Or is your ignorance such
bliss? My Mayan friends are some of the finest I have.

     Evan Ravitz, director,  VOTING BY PHONE FOUNDATION:  [email protected]
    Electronic democracy! From the directors of the U.S. National Science
   Foundation's 1974 Televote trials and Boulder's 1993 ballot initiative:
http://www.vote.org/v  A FUTURE PASTURES PRESENTATION. We sell voting systems
"What government is best? That which teaches us to govern ourselves." -Goethe