Re: Novel use of Usenet and remailers to mailbomb from [email protected]

On Fri, 12 Jan 1996, Alan Bostick wrote:

> Somebody, too clever for their own good by half, has come up with a
> novel way of using Usenet and anonymous remailers to perpetrate
> mailbombs.  The M.O. is to post a message to the naked-lady newsgroups
> saying "get pics in your mailbox! send this message to this address!),
> giving the email address of a cypherpunk-style anonymous remailer and
> including a pgp-encrypted message block.

Yuck.

Unless someone comes forward to say that they were the target of this
attack, I'd guess that the target is the remailer network itself.

> > Newsgroups: alt.sex,alt.sex.wizards,alt.sex.magazines,alt.binaries.pictures.erotica,alt.binaries.pictures.erotica.blondes,alt.binaries.pictures.erotica.female,alt.sex.movies,alt.sex.pictures
> > From: [email protected] (luzskru)
> > Subject: Get Penthouse and Playboy pics on your mail box!!
> > Date: Thu, 11 Jan 1996 18:10:37 GMT

This article is still on nntp.stanford.edu. I've issued a cancel. Sites far
removed from stanford.edu should consider doing the same.

[email protected], of course, doesn't exist, *BUT* there is a
luzskru.cpcnet.com in the DNS.

And while every other port seems to be closed, there is an open NNTP port.

N:~> telnet luzskru.cpcnet.com nntp
Trying 198.70.185.5...
Connected to luzskru.cpcnet.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
200 luzskru.cpcnet.com NNS server version X2.06 ready - posting allowed
quit
205 closing connection - goodbye
Connection closed by foreign host.

[email protected] is probably a victim of this, but he should still be
flayed with a wet noodle for letting this happen.

-rich