Re: Shimomura on BPF, NSA and Crypto

>Tsutomu has lots of glib rhetoric about how he just builds tools and
>they can be used for good or evil.  This tool is custom-designed for
>evil.

Rubbish, it would allow me to do something I urgently need to do - measure the
performance of the main internet links. This is presently very difficult to do
since the berkley sockets provide no network performance information to the
application layer.

What I need is a means of determining the fragmentation, packet delay,
throttling rate etc etc. This is information avaliable in the Kernel but I don't
know how to get at it. The packet filters would provide a means to monitor,
Tsutomu's kit would do the job better.

The reason why I need this type of stuff is that a number of governments are
asking how many T3 lines they need to string across the ocean to get into the
Internet game. If hard figures are avaliable they can make the case to fund
them. [No Libertarian flames about government subsidy please, I'm not
interested]

		Phill