Re: Spiderspace

On Tue, 16 Jan 1996, Timothy C. May wrote:

> 1. At the Saturday Cypherpunks physical meeting, Marianne Mueller (I think)
> was telling me about an experience where an old letter she'd written to
> someone showed up in an Alta Vista search. A personal letter, that is. How
> this happened was that the letter to her friend was buried several
> subdirectories deep in a directory he made accessible to the outside world.
> Presto, Alta Vista found it, indexed it, and made it keyword-searchable!

Minor correction, it was a private e-mail that I had sent to Marianne
over a year ago that showed up in an AltaVista search.  (It was a
completely inadvertant mistake on her part that this happened.)

Funny to me, embarrassing to her, and a perfect (though trivial) example of
how the evolution of "spiderspace" will, until people become more
familiar with it, reveal all sorts of unexpected surprises.

--
Johnathan Corgan
[email protected]