on being elitist...

Tim May said in a recent missive, of which I've deleted (unfortunately)
that "most of us on the list are elitist" because we don't believe that
most people will make it, or some such (please correct or clarify, Tim?)

I would say that an "elitist" is one who believes that the masses (or the
great unwashed, depending on your point of view) are somehow "not
deserving" of surviving or "not worth it", and I would say that that
definition would *not* fit a great many people here.  I think that most
people here are *for* getting crypto out in the hands of *everyone* -
good, easy-to-use, cheap, uunbreakable (for all practical purposes,
anyway) crypto, to use for everything, ranging from telnet sessions to
email.  True, there will be some who will *not* make it into the future,
and those numbers vary (depending on whose vision of the future you
subscribe to), but the point is, those who do survive aren't somehow
*better* that those who do not - it may simply be that they are in the
right place at the right time.  Whether or not that place includes the Bay
Area is a subject of debate.
--
Ed Carp, N7EKG    			[email protected], [email protected]
					214/993-3935 voicemail/digital pager

"Past the wounds of childhood, past the fallen dreams and the broken families,
through the hurt and the loss and the agony only the night ever hears, is a
waiting soul.  Patient, permanent, abundant, it opens its infinite heart and
asks only one thing of you ... 'Remember who it is you really are.'"

                    -- "Losing Your Mind", Karen Alexander and Rick Boyes