Re: Single computer breaks 40-bit RC4 in under 8 days

Rich Graves <[email protected]> said:

>> workstations, Doligez averaged 850,000 keys per second.ICE used the
>> following formula to determine its $584 cost of computing power: the
>> total cost of the computer divided by the number of days in a
>> three-year lifespan (1,095), multiplied by the number of days (7.7)
>> it takes to break the code.

RG> This assumes, of however, that collecting encrypted communications,
RG> feeding them to the computer with 100% efficiency, electricity,
RG> labor, etc. are completely free.

RG> I hope everyone recognizes this as more old news and ICE
RG> marketing. In a fantasy world, the press et al would see this and
RG> clamor for the revocation of ITAR.

	This is old news to those of us who understand it.  But this new
way of presenting the information is newsworthy.  Yes, it
over-simplifies the costs of collecting the transactions to force, but
the sound bite nature of reporting today requires that.  The government
is trying to give people warm fuzzies about the 'security' of 40-bit
encryption, and we, unfortunately, need to be spreading FUD about that.
This helps to do that.

--
#include <disclaimer.h>				/* Sten Drescher */
1973 Steelers    About Three Bricks Shy of a Load    1994 Steelers