Re: Hack Lotus?

"Peter Trei" writes:
> I suspect that Lotus has not completely reworked it's security
> system for the international version, and that they are in fact
> doing a second public key operation on the 3 bytes of GAK'd data.

Likely.

> If they're nasty, they'll check on the receiving side as well, to
> ensure that the LEAF and/or the espionage-enabling key have not been
> patched in the sending 'International' version.

Nearly impossible. Why? Because they can only include the public key,
and not the private key, of the GAK authority in the code. You can
encrypt the three bytes of key, but it is very hard for a receiver
other than the govvies to read them. There is no shared secret
information or private information available, ergo, they can't check
their LEAF equivalent.

This is likely where the flaw in the scheme is -- it should be trivial
to drop another public key in place of the government one and foil the
entire thing with minimal effort. All will look normal until someone
tries to use the GAK private key.

Of course, I'll point out that 64 bit RC4 keys are still not
particularly heartwarming...

Perry