Re: Crippled Notes export encryption

In article <[email protected]>,
Derek Atkins  <[email protected]> wrote:
>> How did kerberos avoid this?  The "bones" distribution of kerberos
>> without crypto was not regulated by ITAR, right?
>
>Kerberos didn't leave the crypto plugable.  The bones distribution
>removed not only the crypto routines but also the calls to the crypto
>routines.  It would be hard to call that "pluggable".  It took a lot
>of work for someone down under to replace all those crypto calls!

OK; so what if I have code that says:

RNG_GenerateRandomBytes(buf, size);
Hash(outbuf, buf, size);
/*
 *  It would be really nice if outbuf were RSA-encrypted
 *  with (expon,modulus) at this point and the result placed in
 *  outbuf2, but we have to do the following instead:
 */
    for(i=0;i<hashsize;++i) outbuf2[i] = ~outbuf[i];
fwrite(outbuf2, hashsize, 1, fp);

Would the above code be export-restricted because it contained wishful
thinking about how nice it would be to use encryption?

   - Ian "Maybe I should just go back to Canada..."