Re: Crippled Notes export encryption

In article <[email protected]>,
Dan Weinstein <[email protected]> wrote:
>I forget how it is termed in ITAR, but expertise can't be exported
>either.  Another thing to remember is that Jeff and the others at
>Netscape aren't writing the encryption algorithms themselves, they
>implement the code that they get from RSA.  Though most of the
>code they get from RSA is already available abroad, if they wanted to
>import it they would face serious copywrite problems with RSA.  Also,
>like I suggested before any programers who gained their knowledge of
>crypto programing in the U.S. and then went abroad and developed
>crypto software would be in danger of prosecution under ITAR if they
>ever returned to the U.S..

So how about my situation?  I'm a Canadian student, currently studying
in the US.  Are you saying that if, after I get my degree and return to
Canada, it would be illegal for me to write and export crypto stuff?!
What if I'm in Canada for a few weeks between semesters and I write
something then?

   - Ian "this is all really dumb..."